Wednesday, March 25, 2009

New Additions to make our house a farm....

Spring Break is here.....which means we have had a few visitors. Matt's younger brother brought his GF and her daughter to visit last weekend. While we were at our neighbors house riding the horses (the ones who rent our back pasture for the horses to eat in) we got to talking to the older man about chickens....how difficult they were, how quick they grow, how good the eggs are, etc....

Thus led to our recent purchase and new additions to our home...

Monday after we played golf Matt and I ventured to the Farm Store in Logansport to check out the cost of starting up our mini chicken farm....We already have a pretty large barn area that at the time was only being used for storage of our pool equipment during the winter and was pretty much empty, so all we needed was chicken wire so Matt could secure the chickens from intruders, and also separate the barn in 1/2 so we could still use 1/2 of it for storage.

We found the chicken wire, the pine shavings, the chicken starter and all the necessary buckets and holders......along with our new additions....no not 8-10 chickens like we wanted....

But the state minimum to purchase not a hatchery....25 CHICKENS (10 meat chickens that will be full grown in about 8 weeks and 15 egg laying chickens that we will have around for a while)!!

So far they have settled in nicely....they eat ALOT and the meat chickens have doubled in size already in the past 2 days...


So I guess we now officially have started our farm :)
Here are some pictures:



2 comments:

  1. Oh my! That looks like quite an adventure you've started. Of course, I'm terrified of chickens, along with any other animal with a beak, but the babies sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave :-) Chickens are messy, but fresh eggs are the best! But I am not sure I want to clean up after the chickens just to get the eggs!

    I read your last blog. Kyle said that the Istep's this spring were harder, but he did not mention any part in particular. I hope that he did well.

    I am glad that you are looking forward to coaching the golf team! I hope you enjoy it.

    I will update my blog soon!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete